Post-Surgery Instructions for Outpatient Surgery
After your surgery with Dr. Bruce Van Natta, you will be given specific instructions for your particular procedure(s). Be sure to follow them closely.
Here is a basic overview for all surgery patients:
- Ensure you have a family member or friend to drive you home after surgery and spend the night with you the night of your surgery.
- No smoking or nicotine use for 4 weeks after your procedure.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking pain medication.
- Do not drive or operate machinery while taking pain medication.
- Maintain a healthy diet, and drink plenty of water. Hydration is important for healing.
- If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. From 8:00 am-4;00 pm: call our nurse line at (317) 575-0336 ext. 168. After hours and on weekends, please call (317) 575-0330 or toll-free: (800) 345-1962. These numbers roll to the answering service and will page our physician on call.
Prevent Post-Operative Bruising
To minimize post-operative bruising several of our patients prefer to use a homeopathic preparation called Arnica Montana. When taken in frequent doses for a few days before, and continuing after surgery, it seems to have the ability to diminish the amount of bruising normally seen after even the most meticulously performed operation.
We currently suggest that our surgery patients consider taking this supplement with the hope that it may enhance the recovery.
Instructions and Dosages: Arnica Montana 30X comes as a very small white pill. Do Not swallow or touch the pills with your hands as this may affect their absorption. The proper number of pills should be placed in the cap of the container, then placed under your tongue without touching the pills.
- 7 days before surgery: Begin Arnica, 4 pills under your tongue, 4 times per day.
- Day of surgery: Continue Arnica as above
- Post-operatively: Continue for 7 days after surgery